Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fried Green Tomatoes



If you are a child of the 80's (like me!) then you would popularly call in mind 'Fried Green Tomatoes'  as the movie that starred Mary Stuart Masteron, Mary-Louise Parker and Kathy Bates instead of referring to the delicacy in the deep south. This chick flick was pretty popular back in the early nineties right :)? Am not sure if it appeals to the new generation but the drama, comedy and the twist in the story on what really happened to bad Frank is pretty gritty. I have watched the movie more than twice and movies filmed in the old south (not only the food) has appeal to me.

Anyway, since this is a food blog and not the rottentomatoes.com review site, the movie has to take a backseat for now. Let us make tomatoes the protagonist this time!

Green tomatoes are common in the summer and will not be readily available in the local supermarket at this time of the year. However, I knew I still had to go to St. Lawrence Market in case I am lucky. My positive thinking did pay off. I did get them but not easily.  I talked to a vegetable lady to get me some unripened tomatoes. Luckily she was very helpful and we both dug up around the pile of vine ripened red tomatoes ( a certain type of tomato variety) and found some green ones sticking out from the red clumps. I was pretty happy myself to get me four, good, green, hard tomatoes.  I went home happily carrying my produce and was excited to cook and munch on some of these tangy, sweet and crispy goodness :)

After frying, I drizzled them with honey and topped with sour cream!



For the fried green tomatoes

4 medium to large unripened tomatoes (vine ripened tomatoes variety)
1/2 cup flour, season with any dry spice you have or prefer. ( I used chipotle pepper, paprika, chili and garlic powder).
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 cup fine bread crumbs
canola oil for frying
salt and pepper
sour cream
honey

Direction:



Wash tomatoes and sliced into 1/4 inch think. Pat dry. Season with lots of ground black pepper.

In a bowl beat eggs and mix in milk. Prepare wide mouth bowls and add in the flour in one bowl. Scoop the bread crumbs in another bowl.

Individually work on each tomato slice by dipping it in flour. Then dip it in the egg and milk mixture. Dredge it in the breadcrumb mixture. Be gentle when handling the tomatoes so the breadcrumb coating stays.

In a skillet, add the oil and bring to medium high heat. When the oil is hot (not hot enough to burn your coating)  add the coated tomatoes. Fry in batches and do not put them close to each other. When the coating on one side if golden brown, flip and do the same for the other side.

Place the tomatoes in a plate lined with paper napkins to absorb the oil.

Drizzle the fried tomatoes with honey. Serve with sour cream on the side. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment